أخبار

تاريخ Wando II - التاريخ

تاريخ Wando II - التاريخ

واندو الثاني

(القاطرة رقم 17: موانئ دبي 575 (رقم) ؛ 1. 123'6 1/2 "؛ ب. 26'8" ، د.
11'6 '' (متوسط) ؛ cpl. 23 ؛ أ. 2 3 بارس ؛ cl. واندو)

تم وضع Wando الثاني (القاطرة رقم 17) في 14 يونيو 1915 من قبل تشارلستون (S.

بقيت واندو في تشارلستون حتى 15 أبريل ، عندما بدأت في رحلة إلى مياه نيو إنجلاند ، ومع المركب الموجي في السحب ، على البخار شمالًا ، عبر لينهافن رودز ، فيرجينيا ، ونيويورك نافي يارد ، ووصل إلى نيوبورت بعد ستة أيام. الانتقال إلى بوسطن ، ماساتشوستس - عبر قناة كيب كود - بعد ذلك بوقت قصير ، سحب القاطرة بارجة فحم إلى New York Navy Yard في 25 و 26 أبريل ثم سحب الطراد سالم من فيلادلفيا إلى Boston Navy Yard قبل عودتها ، عبر فيلادلفيا إلى تشارلستون في 19 مايو ، سحب زورق الطوربيد بارني.

بعد جولات قصيرة من الخدمة في جورج تاون ، ساوث كارولينا ، وجاكسونفيل ، فلوريدا ، أبحر واندو إلى هامبتون رودز فيرجينيا ، راسخًا مع الأسطول في نهر يورك في 11 يونيو. خلال فصل الصيف ، قامت القاطرة بمهام مختلفة - معظمها سحب الأهداف والولاعات ؛ نقل الطوافات المستهدفة وزرع العوامات - خارج صوت طنجة ويوركتاون ، فيرجينيا. خلال ذلك الوقت ، ساعدت البارجة لويزيانا (البارجة رقم 19) في 6 يوليو.

في منتصف أغسطس ، خضع واندو لإصلاحات في نورفولك نيفي يارد وهناك حصل على "معدات إزالة الألغام". غادرت نورفولك في 23 أغسطس متجهة إلى مياه نيويورك ووصلت "القاعدة 10" - ميناء جيفرسون ، لونغ آيلاند - في صباح يوم 25. من هناك ، انتقلت القاطرة إلى نيو لندن ، كونيتيكت ، حيث تلقت معدات إضافية لإزالة الألغام من بالتيمور. في مساء يوم 8 سبتمبر ، صعد واندو إلى النقيب ريجنالد ر. قامت القاطرة بعد ذلك بوظائف العوامة والشبكة قبالة Cornfield Light Vessel من 10 إلى 13 سبتمبر.

عاد Wando إلى New London في 16th وفي اليوم التالي تم تركيب المزيد من معدات إزالة الألغام. قامت مرة أخرى بنقل النقيب بيلكناب كراكب ، من نيو لندن إلى نيوبورت ، قبل التوجه إلى نورفولك. خلال الفترة المتبقية من شهر سبتمبر ، عمل Wando في "Base One" ، Tangier Sound ، لرسو طوافات مستهدفة ، والعمل على المراسي المستهدفة ، وإجراء رحلات قصيرة للإصلاحات أو الإمدادات في Norfolk Navy Yard. بقي واندو بعد ذلك في منطقة خليج تشيسابيك - طرق هامبتون - منطقة طنجة الصوتية خلال أشهر الخريف وحتى الشتاء.

انفصلت واندو عن واجبها مع قوة الألغام في 19 نوفمبر 1917 ، واستأنفت عملياتها مع قطار الأسطول الأطلسي. ومع ذلك ، استمرت في أداء نفس الواجبات الأساسية ، حيث عملت كمناقصة مستهدفة / صافي وتسليم البريد والإرساليات حتى نهاية مارس 1918. بعد ذلك قامت بسحب أهداف للسفن الحربية المشاركة في تدريبات المدفعية قبالة مناطق الحفر الجنوبية ، قبالة رؤوس فيرجينيا ، وبعد ذلك وضعوا عوامات في سلسلة جبال طوربيد لنهر بوتوماك ، قبالة مصب نهر سانت ماري.

تم نشر واندو في منطقة البحر الكاريبي لأول مرة في أوائل عام 1919. جارية من نورفولك في 6 فبراير 1919 ، وصلت القاطرة إلى خليج جوانتانامو في 14 فبراير ، مع بونتون رقم 23 في القطر. أدت وظائفها الخدمية غير المبهجة للأسطول - سحب الأهداف والولاعات والصنادل وتسليم الرجال والبريد - في المياه الكوبية (خليج غوانتانامو وخليج غواكاناميل وخليج مانزانيلو) حتى 17 أبريل ، عندما توجهت إلى المنزل.

عند وصولها إلى نيويورك في الثامن عشر من شهر مايو ، انتقلت واندو لاحقًا إلى هوبوكين بولاية نيوجيرسي ، حيث خضعت لإصلاحات خلال الأيام القليلة الأولى من شهر مايو. بالعودة إلى نورفولك في 6 مايو ، قام واندو بقطر أهداف وأداء خدمة المرافق العامة مع قطار أسطول المحيط الأطلسي حتى منتصف يوليو ثم تم تشغيله في المياه قبالة الجزء الشمالي من الساحل الشرقي ، خارج نيوبورت ونيو لندن ونيويورك. مكثت في مدينة نيويورك من 10 أغسطس 1919 إلى 10 يناير 1920.

جاريًا في نورفولك في اليوم الأخير ، وصل واندو هناك في اليوم التالي ، ولكن في اليوم الرابع عشر ، أبحر جنوبًا إلى تشارلستون ووصل إلى ذلك الميناء في اليوم السادس عشر. انفصلت واندو عن قطار الأسطول الأطلسي في 26 يناير 1920 ، وتم تكليفها في نفس الوقت بمهام كمركبة ساحة في تشارلستون نافي يارد ، وقلص طاقمها إلى 14 رجلاً. أثناء عملها الفعلي في تشارلستون ، تم تصنيفها AT-17 في 17 يوليو 1920 ، أثناء التخصيص على مستوى الأسطول لأرقام الهيكل الأبجدية الرقمية.

عملت واندو في المنطقة البحرية السادسة ، خارج تشارلستون ، حتى 18 أبريل 1922 ، عندما خرجت من الخدمة ووضعت في المحمية.

أعيد تكليفه في Mare Island Navy Yard ، فاليجو ، كاليفورنيا في 15 مارس 1933 ، أعيد تصنيف Wando في 27 فبراير 1936 من قاطرة بحرية (AT) إلى ساحبة مرفأ ، YT-123. في 15 أبريل 1944 ، أعيد تصنيفها مرة أخرى إلى قاطرة ميناء كبيرة ، YTB-123 - وهو تصنيف حملته لبقية خدمتها البحرية النشطة.

تم تعيين Wando للمنطقة البحرية الثالثة عشرة بعد إعادة تشغيلها للعمل في Puget Sound Navy Yard ، بريميرتون ، واشنطن ، وقد أدت خدماتها الحيوية ولكن غير المعلنة من أواخر الثلاثينيات حتى الحرب العالمية الثانية. تم وضع Wando في النهاية خارج الخدمة وخرج عن الخدمة في 3 يوليو 1946 ، وتم تسليمه إلى إدارة الشحن الحربي التابعة للجنة البحرية للتخلص منها. تم شطب اسمها من قائمة البحرية في 30 ديسمبر 1946 ، وحصلت عليها شركة Puget Sound Tug and Barge في 28 أبريل 1947.


التاريخ و # 038 التراث الثقافي

قبل القرن السابع عشر الميلادي: كانت البرية التي تحيط بها الأنهار المختلفة التي تتدفق داخل وحول Lowcountry يسكنها هنود مياه المد لآلاف السنين قبل وصول الأوروبيين. كانوا جميعًا صيادين ماهرين وازدهروا على فضل الأرض والمياه. استخدم الأمريكيون الأصليون الطريق العريض ، الذي تبع نهر آشلي ، للتجارة مع القبائل المجاورة.

القرن السابع عشر الميلادي: قدمت بعض القبائل الأمريكية الأصلية المساعدة للمستعمرين الإنجليز أثناء بحثهم في المنطقة لبناء المستوطنات. ساعدت القبائل بما في ذلك Wando و Etiwan و Kiawah و Sewee الإنجليز في الدفاع ضد الغارات الإسبانية. ومن المعروف أن قبيلتي ستونو وكوسو هددتا المستوطنين الأوائل بهجمات. تم إنشاء المساكن والمزارع على طول ضفاف نهر أشلي وفي جميع أنحاء المنطقة.

القرن الثامن عشر الميلادي: تم إنشاء أكثر من 60 مزرعة بين نهري آشلي وكوبر ، مثل أكابي ، وأركديل ، وبلمونت ، وإلمز ، ووينسور ، وأوك غروف ، ووايت هول ، وتورنبول وغيرها. أحرزت إليزا لوكاس بينكني تقدمًا نباتيًا وبستانيًا كبيرًا مع إنتاج الحرير والنيلي فيليب نويزيت مع تطوير وردة نويسيت الشهيرة عالميًا وبواسطة أندريه ميشو ، والد البستنة الأمريكية ، الذي أنشأ حديقة نباتية (بالقرب مما هو الآن Aviation Ave.) وأدخلت نباتات جديدة إلى المنطقة مثل الكاميليا والميموزا.

خلال الثورة الأمريكية (1775-1783): أصبح الطريق العريض معروفًا باسم الطريق إلى دورشيستر (الآن طريق دورتشستر) ، والذي استخدمته القوات البريطانية كطريق رئيسي من حصن دورشيستر البريطاني إلى تشارلز تاون. تم إنشاء The Quarter House Inn ، على هذا الطريق ، كحامية بريطانية.

القرن التاسع عشر: تم وضع خطوط السكك الحديدية الأقدم من تشارلستون إلى المنطقة الشمالية ، بالقرب مما يُعرف الآن بشارع ريفرز. كانت الزراعة وقطع الأخشاب أمرًا حيويًا في أوائل القرن التاسع عشر ، كما أدى تعدين الفوسفات لاستخدامه في الأسمدة إلى حدوث طفرة اقتصادية بعد الحرب الأهلية. تم إنشاء Liberty Hill ، وهو أقدم حي في المنطقة الشمالية ، من قبل المحررين الذين اشتروا أرضًا وقاموا ببناء منازل ومزارع لعائلاتهم حوالي عام 1864. في عام 1898 ، تم شراء مزرعتين على طول نهر Cooper لإنشاء Chicora Park ، الذي صممه Olmstead الإخوة ، كوجهة يومية للأثرياء تشارلستون.

ي. عملت شركة Burton Lumber على مساحة 5000 فدان في تسعينيات القرن التاسع عشر بين قاعدة تشارلستون البحرية وجوس كريك. كما تم تطهير المنطقة وقطع الأخشاب. باع بيرتون الأرض. بحلول عام 1912 ، تم بيع أجزاء من السبيل إلى شركة Oakdene Cotton Compress و Texaco و Read Phosphate Co.

1900-1972: تم شراء Chicora Park من قبل البحرية وتم إنشاء Charleston Naval Yard في عام 1901. كان حوض بناء السفن يضم أكبر رصيف وحوض جاف على الساحل الشرقي تم استخدامه لبناء وإصلاح السفن قبل الحرب العالمية الأولى. توسعت القاعدة بشكل أكبر خلال الحرب العالمية الثانية وظلت نشطة حتى تم إغلاقها في يناير 1996. لمدة 100 عام تقريبًا ، عززت البحرية الاقتصاد وتطوير شمال تشارلستون كمدينة جديدة ، مستندة إلى مبادئ التخطيط للعصر التقدمي.

ترأس عمدة تشارلستون R. Goodwyn Rhett مجموعة من المستثمرين الذين نظموا شركة North Charleston Corp. و Filbin Corp. بعد أن قاموا بشراء جهاز Burton ، قام WB Marquis من شركة Olmsted Brothers Engineering Co. بتصميم المدينة المقترحة. في عام 1914 ، تم تنظيم شركة North Charleston Development Corp لبناء منازل للمنطقة. انتقل السكان الأوائل إلى هناك في نفس العام. كان هذا هو الوقت الذي تطور فيه مصطلح "نورث تشارلستون".

بحلول عام 1925 ، تمت إعادة تنظيم شركة North Charleston Corp و Filbin Corp لتصبح مزارع تشارلستون. تم استيعابها من قبل شركة نورث تشارلستون في هذا العام.

بعد الذعر المالي في عام 1929 ، اشترى جوزيف فرانك السيطرة على الشركة القابضة. كما اشترى 44 فدانا إضافية من المسالك ، بما في ذلك بارك سيركل.

بحلول عام 1930 ، كان هناك 2000 ساكن فقط في منطقة الشمال وكانت الأمة في حالة ركود. ومع ذلك ، انتقلت شركة West Virginia Pulp and Paper Co. إلى المنطقة مما أدى إلى خلق العديد من الوظائف وزيادة عدد السكان.

تم تشكيل منطقة الخدمة العامة في عام 1934 لخدمة المنطقة بأضواء الشوارع والمياه والصرف الصحي والتخلص من القمامة والحماية من الحرائق. أيضًا في عام 1934 ، أكملت إدارة الأشغال العامة الفيدرالية مركزًا مجتمعيًا وصالة للألعاب الرياضية في مدرسة نورث تشارلستون الثانوية.

كان عدد السكان في ذلك الوقت أكثر من 4000. نمت بسرعة في عام 1940 مع اقتراب الحرب العالمية الثانية. في عام 1942 ، قفز عدد السكان إلى أكثر من 18000 مع زيادة عدد أفراد سلاح البحرية وجلب الجيش ميناء المغادرة الخاص به إلى هناك. جلبت القواعد العسكرية في شمال تشارلستون الازدهار إلى المنطقة في كل من الحربين العالميتين والنزاع الكوري وفيتنام.

بعد انتهاء الحرب العالمية الثانية ، استمر العديد من الجنود في العيش والعمل في شمال تشارلستون مما مكن المجتمع الصناعي من مواصلة إنتاجه.

سعت منطقة نورث تشارلستون لتصبح مدينة في وقت مبكر من الأربعينيات. قاد Casper Padgett إحدى أولى محاولات التأسيس منذ حوالي 36 عامًا. فشلت الجهود عندما كشف الناخبون عن معارضتهم لمفهوم ثمانية إلى واحد.

في أواخر الخمسينيات من القرن الماضي ، قاد آرثر إتش بيرتون مجموعة أخرى كانت تأمل في إعادة إحياء الاهتمام بالتأسيس. ومع ذلك ، واجه بيرتون عقبة رئيسية في دستور ولاية SC. كان الدستور يقتضي موافقة الناخبين على مدينة جديدة ، ولم يكن لدى المنطقة الشمالية ذلك.

مطلوب تعديل دستوري من شأنه أن يسمح للمدن بالاندماج مع غالبية الناخبين الذين يذهبون إلى المجمعات. تم منح هذا التعديل أخيرًا في عام 1972.

حاول نورث تشارلستون في عام 1961 مرة أخرى دمج ، وحتى انتخب رئيسًا لبلدية ، إف سي أوت. لكن الاستجابة الإيجابية لم تكن كافية.

أما الجهد الثالث للتأسيس ، في عام 1969 ، فقد ترأسه النائب روبرت دبليو تيرنر ، المرشح الذي لم يتزاحم فيه لمنصب عمدة المدينة الجديدة.

بعد هذه المحاولة الفاشلة ، خاض جون إي بورن النضال في عام 1971.

خفض بورن منطقة التصويت للتأسيس إلى أربع مناطق حيث كانت مصلحة التأسيس عالية وحيث تحولت الأصوات عمومًا إلى التجمعات. عرف المؤسسون أنه إذا تمكنوا من دمج منطقة أصغر ، فيمكنهم حينئذٍ وضع إجراءات الضم لبقية المنطقة الشمالية. جعل هذا الجهد شمال تشارلستون مدينة.

1972: تأسست مدينة نورث تشارلستون باعتبارها تاسع أكبر مدينة في ساوث كارولينا في 12 يونيو 1972 مع جون إي بورن جونيور كأول عمدة. بحلول ديسمبر ، أصبحت نورث تشارلستون رابع أكبر مدينة في ساوث كارولينا بعد ضم القاعدة البحرية وقاعدة القوات الجوية ومطار تشارلستون الدولي. في غضون عام واحد ، زاد عدد سكان المدينة من 22000 إلى 53000.

1972-1982: بحلول 3 يوليو 1975 أصبحت المدينة ثالث أكبر مدينة في الولاية. في 12 يونيو 1982 ، نما شمال تشارلستون بنسبة 250 في المائة. وكان لديها 15 مليون دولار استثمارات رأسمالية 1.95 مليون دولار في الحدائق والمرافق الترفيهية ، و 2.28 مليون دولار في التنمية الاقتصادية.

1982-1996: احتفلت المدينة بافتتاح نورثوودز مول في عام 1986 ، ساعد هذا المركز التجاري الرئيسي للبيع بالتجزئة في الترويج لشمال تشارلستون كرائد حكومي في مبيعات التجزئة.

21 سبتمبر 1989 ضرب إعصار هوغو ، مما تسبب في أضرار بأكثر من 2.8 مليار دولار في ساوث كارولينا لوكونتري. كان التأثير المادي والاقتصادي مدمرًا.

تم انتخاب بوبي كينارد ليكون ثاني عمدة لنورث تشارلستون في عام 1991. تولى كين مكلور مهام منصب العمدة المؤقت بعد استقالة العمدة كينارد في عام 1994.

في عام 1993 ، تم إنشاء سرب طائرات C-17 Globemaster III في قاعدة تشارلستون الجوية ، لتوفير الدعم العسكري في جميع أنحاء العالم.

افتتح مدرج نورث تشارلستون كوليسيوم في عام 1993 وبدأ فريق هوكي الراي اللاسع في ساوث كارولينا بالاتصال بشمال تشارلستون بمنزلهم.

تم انتخاب العمدة R. Keith Summey في عام 1994 كثالث عمدة لنورث تشارلستون. وقد أعيد انتخابه خلال كل انتخابات منذ عام 1994 ويخدم الآن فترة ولايته الرابعة الكاملة كرئيس للبلدية.

تم إغلاق قاعدة تشارلستون البحرية وحوض بناء السفن رسميًا في عام 1996 ، منهية ما يقرب من 100 عام من التاريخ كأكبر صاحب عمل للعمال المدنيين في ساوث كارولينا. وفقد الإغلاق ما يقرب من 1.4 مليار دولار من النفقات السنوية.

1996 إلى الوقت الحاضر: عادت مئات الأفدنة من الأرض التي كانت تشكل قاعدة تشارلستون البحرية وحوض بناء السفن إلى مدينة نورث تشارلستون بعد إغلاق القاعدة. بدأت الصناعة والشركات الخاصة في الدخول في اتفاقيات تأجير للمستودعات والمساحات المكتبية.

افتتح مركز نورث تشارلستون للفنون المسرحية ومركز تشارلستون للمؤتمرات في عام 1999.

بدأ تطوير Center Pointe الذي تبلغ مساحته 400 فدان في أوائل عام 2000 ويضم الآن وول مارت و Sam’s Club و Tanger Outlet Mall ومتاجر البيع بالتجزئة والمطاعم المعروفة على المستوى الوطني.

بدأت خطة مجتمع Noisette في عام 2004 وعززت جهود التنشيط في North Charleston. بدأ القادة السياسيون والمجتمعيون والشركات وسكان المنطقة في تبني التركيز والترويج للحفظ والاستدامة والترفيه والتعليم والرعاية الصحية والنمو الثقافي وتوفير جو اجتماعي لطيف وجذب وظائف تقنية وبيئية جديدة.

تم افتتاح منتزه ريفرفرونت في نورث تشارلستون رسميًا للجمهور في 4 يوليو 2005 ، مما أدى إلى إنشاء وصول جميل إلى المناظر على طول نهر كوبر مع مكان كبير للأداء في الهواء الطلق ومناطق للنزهات. في وقت لاحق تمت إضافة رصيف صيد وممشى وموقع تذكاري للقاعدة البحرية.

تواصل نورث تشارلستون قيادة ساوث كارولينا في مبيعات التجزئة ، بما يتجاوز 6 مليارات دولار كل عام.

أعلنت شركة Boeing Aircraft في عام 2009 أن نورث تشارلستون ستصبح المقر الجديد لمركز تجميع وتسليم طائرات 787 Dreamliner ، مما يوفر آلاف الوظائف الجديدة في سوق عالمي.

يوفر North Charleston أكبر عدد من أماكن الإقامة الفندقية في المنطقة ، ويتم إضافة العديد من الفنادق الجديدة من فئة 4 نجوم سنويًا لتلبية احتياجات الزوار.


واندو تم وضع (القاطرة رقم 17) في 14 يونيو 1915 من قبل تشارلستون نافي يارد. تم إطلاقها في 7 مارس 1916 ، وتم تكليفها في 3 أبريل 1917 بقيادة Boatswain J.W. Bettens.

واندو بقيت في تشارلستون نيفي يارد حتى 15 أبريل 1917 ، عندما بدأت في رحلة إلى مياه نيو إنجلاند ومع العبارة يو إس إس موجة (YFB-10) في السحب ، على البخار شمالًا ، عبر Lynnhaven Roads ، فيرجينيا و New York Navy Yard في مدينة نيويورك ، وصولاً إلى نيوبورت ، رود آيلاند ، في 21 أبريل 1917. الانتقال إلى بوسطن ، ماساتشوستس عبر قناة كيب كود قريبًا بعد ذلك ، قامت بسحب بارجة فحم إلى New York Navy Yard في 25 أبريل و 26 أبريل 1917 وبعد ذلك قامت بسحب الطراد الاستطلاعي USS سالم (CL-3) من فيلادلفيا ، بنسلفانيا ، إلى بوسطن نافي يارد قبل أن تعود ، عبر فيلادلفيا ، إلى تشارلستون نافي يارد في 19 مايو 1917 ، تسحب زورق الطوربيد يو إس إس بارني (TB-25).

بعد جولات قصيرة في الخدمة في جورج تاون ، ساوث كارولينا وجاكسونفيل ، فلوريدا ، واندو أبحرت إلى هامبتون رودز ، فيرجينيا ، راسية مع الأسطول في نهر يورك في 11 يونيو 1917. خلال صيف عام 1917 ، قامت القاطرة بمهام مختلفة - معظمها سحب الأهداف والولاعات ، وتحويل الطوافات المستهدفة وزرع العوامات - تعمل خارج طنجة الصوت ويوركتاون ، فيرجينيا. خلال ذلك الوقت ، ساعدت البارجة يو إس إس لويزيانا (البارجة رقم 19) في 6 يوليو 1917.

في منتصف أغسطس 1917 ، واندو خضعت لإصلاحات في نورفولك نافي يارد وهناك تلقت "معدات كاسحة الألغام". غادرت نورفولك ، فيرجينيا ، في 23 أغسطس 1917 ، متجهة إلى مياه نيويورك ووصلت "القاعدة 10" - بورت جيفرسون ، لونغ آيلاند ، نيويورك - في صباح يوم 25 أغسطس 1917. ومن هناك انتقلت إلى نيو لندن ، كونيتيكت ، حيث تلقت معدات كاسحة ألغام إضافية من يو إس إس بالتيمور (C-3). في مساء يوم 8 سبتمبر 1917 ، واندو صعد الكابتن ريجينالد ر. بيلكناب ، قائد قوة الألغام ونقله إلى نيوبورت ، رود آيلاند ، ووصل إلى هناك في وقت لاحق من ذلك المساء. واندو قام بعد ذلك بوظائف العوامة والميل الصافي قبالة Cornfield Light Vessel من 10 سبتمبر 1917 إلى 13 سبتمبر 1917.

واندو عاد إلى نيو لندن في 16 سبتمبر 1917 وفي اليوم التالي تم تركيب المزيد من معدات كاسح الألغام. قامت مرة أخرى بنقل الكابتن بيلكناب كراكب ، من نيو لندن إلى نيوبورت ، قبل التوجه إلى نورفولك. للفترة المتبقية من شهر سبتمبر ، واندو تعمل في "Base One" ، Tangier Sound ، لرسو الطوافات المستهدفة ، والعمل على المراسي المستهدفة والقيام برحلات قصيرة إلى Norfolk Navy Yard للإصلاحات أو الإمدادات. واندو بعد ذلك بقيت في منطقة خليج تشيسابيك - طريق هامبتون رودز - طنجة ساوند خلال أشهر خريف عام 1917 وحتى فصل الشتاء.

انفصلت عن واجبها مع قوة الألغام في 19 نوفمبر 1917 ، واندو استأنفت عملياتها مع قطار الأسطول الأطلسي. ومع ذلك ، استمرت في أداء نفس الواجبات الأساسية ، حيث عملت كمناقصة مستهدفة وصافية وتسليم البريد والإرساليات حتى نهاية مارس 1918. وبعد ذلك قامت بسحب أهداف للسفن الحربية المشاركة في تدريبات المدفعية قبالة مناطق الحفر الجنوبية ، قبالة فيرجينيا كابس و وضع عوامات لاحقًا في سلسلة جبال طوربيد بنهر بوتوماك ، قبالة مصب نهر سانت ماري.

واندو تم نشرها في منطقة البحر الكاريبي لأول مرة في أوائل عام 1919. جارية من نورفولك في 6 فبراير 1919 ، ووصلت إلى خليج جوانتانامو ، كوبا ، في 14 فبراير 1919 ، مع عائم رقم 23 في السحب. أدت وظائفها الخدمية غير المبهجة للأسطول - سحب الأهداف والولاعات والصنادل وتسليم الرجال والبريد - في المياه الكوبية في خليج غوانتانامو وخليج غواكانايابو وخليج مانزانيلو حتى 17 أبريل 1919 ، عندما عادت إلى الولايات المتحدة.

وصلت إلى نيويورك في 18 أبريل 1919 ، واندو انتقلت لاحقًا إلى هوبوكين ، نيو جيرسي ، حيث خضعت لإصلاحات خلال الأيام القليلة الأولى من مايو 1919. وعادت إلى نورفولك في 6 مايو 1919 ، واندو سحب الأهداف وأداء خدمة المرافق العامة مع قطار أسطول المحيط الأطلسي حتى منتصف يوليو 1919 ثم تم تشغيله في المياه قبالة الجزء الشمالي من الساحل الشرقي للولايات المتحدة خارج نيوبورت ونيو لندن ونيويورك. بقيت في مدينة نيويورك من 10 أغسطس 1919 إلى 10 يناير 1920.

جارية في نورفولك في 10 يناير 1920 ، واندو وصل إلى هناك في اليوم التالي ، ولكن في 14 يناير 1920 ، أبحر جنوبا لتشارلستون. التي وصلت إليها في 16 يناير 1920. انفصلت عن قطار الأسطول الأطلسي في 26 يناير 1920 ، واندو في وقت واحد تم تعيين واجبات كمركبة فناء في تشارلستون نافي يارد ، وطاقمها انخفض إلى 14 رجلاً. أثناء عملها الفعلي في تشارلستون ، تم تصنيفها AT-17 في 17 يوليو 1920 ، أثناء التخصيص على مستوى الأسطول لأرقام الهيكل الأبجدية الرقمية.

واندو تعمل في المنطقة البحرية السادسة ، خارج ساحة البحرية تشارلستون ، حتى 18 أبريل 1922 ، عندما تم إيقاف تشغيلها ووضعها في الاحتياط.

واندو أعيد تشغيلها في Mare Island Navy Yard في فاليجو ، كاليفورنيا ، في 15 مارس 1933. أعيد تصنيفها في 27 فبراير 1936 من قاطرة بحرية (AT-17) إلى ساحبة ميناء ، YT-123.

تم تعيينها للمنطقة البحرية الثالثة عشرة بعد إعادة تكليفها بالعمل في بوجيه ساوند نافي يارد في بريميرتون ، واشنطن ، واندو قامت بأداء خدماتها الحيوية ولكن غير المعروفة منذ أواخر الثلاثينيات وحتى الحرب العالمية الثانية. في 15 أبريل 1944 ، أعيد تصنيفها مرة أخرى إلى قاطرة ميناء كبيرة ، YTB-123 ، وهو تصنيف حملته لبقية خدمتها البحرية النشطة.

وضع في النهاية خارج الخدمة وخارج اللجنة و 3 يوليو 1946 ، واندو تم تسليمها إلى إدارة الشحن الحربي باللجنة البحرية للتخلص منها. تم شطب اسمها من القائمة البحرية في 30 ديسمبر 1946 وتم الحصول عليها من قبل شركة Puget Sound Tug and Barge في 28 أبريل 1947.

تحتوي هذه المقالة على نصوص من المجال العام قاموس سفن القتال البحرية الأمريكية. يمكن ايجاد الدخول من هنا.


تاريخ Wando II - التاريخ

استخدم علامات الاقتباس "___" لعمليات البحث متعددة الكلمات.

مجرد موقع جذر واستدعاء آخر للشبكة

بإذن من مجموعة Segars - 2006

تم إنشاء أبرشية سانت توماس أيضًا في عام 1706 ، وتم بناء أول كنيسة أبرشية في عام 1708 على عنق الأرض بين نهري واندو وكوبر ، على بعد حوالي ميلين من قرية واندو ، المعروفة سابقًا باسم كاينهوي. ومع ذلك ، تم بناء كنيسة بومبيون هيل عام 1703 فيما أصبح يعرف باسم أبرشية سانت توماس. وصفها Dalcho بأنها أول كنيسة بنيت في المقاطعة خارج مدينة تشارلز تاون. أشارت الأبحاث اللاحقة إلى أن أول كنيسة صغيرة في Goose Creek قد تم تشييدها قبل ذلك ببضع سنوات ، ربما في وقت مبكر من عام 1680. أقيمت الكنيسة الأولى في Pompion Hill بعد وقت قصير من وصول القس صموئيل توماس ، أول مبشر إلى كارولينا من جمعية كنيسة إنجلترا المنظمة حديثًا لنشر الإنجيل في أجزاء أجنبية. تم إنشاؤه عام 1701 ، وأرسلوا القس توماس إلى كارولينا عام 1702. وكان ثالث مبشر يتم إرساله إلى أمريكا وخدم شعب نهر كوبر من جوس كريك إلى بومبيون هيل ، مما جعل منزله في سيلك هوب ، مزرعة الحاكم ، السير ناثانيال جونسون. قال السيد توماس ، الذي كتب من "دراسة السير ن. جونسون" في عام 1705 إلى الجمعية في لندن ، "هذه إحدى الكنائس التي أقيمت بالفعل منذ وصولي من خلال التوجيه الخاص والرعاية الدينية للسير ناثانيال جونسون وتحت مسئولية الرعية . " استمدت كنيسة بومبيون هيل التي تقع على الجانب الشرقي من الفرع الشرقي لنهر كوبر اسمها من المزرعة الواقعة على النهر المجاور لها. النطق المحلي هو Punkin ، أو كما كتب القاضي H.AM Smith "التهجئة المعاصرة لـ Pumpkin هي Pompion." تمت كتابة المزرعة باسم Ponkin Hill أو Ponkinhill Plantation في بعض الأعمال قبل أن يمتد الاسم ليشمل مساحة أكبر من المزرعة التي جمعها القس توماس هاسل. كان أول رئيس لأبرشية سانت توماس ، تم تعيينه في عام 1709 بعد إنشاء الرعية في عام 1706. وتزوج إليزابيث أشبي ، ابنة جون أشبي ، كاسيك الثانية بالقرب من كوينبي باروني. عندما توفي القس السيد هاسيل في عام 1744 ، كان قد خدم رعية سانت توماس وبومبيون هيل Chapels of Ease لمدة خمسة وثلاثين عامًا. ورث ابنه الأكبر ، توماس هاسل ، مزرعة بومبيون هيل التي تبلغ مساحتها 1540 فدانًا. في عام 1750 تم شراؤها من قبل صموئيل توماس ، حفيد أول ضابط من مجموعة SPG بهذا الاسم ، والذي كان صهر القس توماس هاسل ، منذ أن تزوج صموئيل توماس الثاني من إليزابيث آشبي. قبل عام 1784 ، أصبحت Pompion Hill Plantation ملكًا للأبرشية ، إما من خلال الشراء أو الهدية من Samuel Thomas. في سنوات لاحقة بعد عام 1823 ، كانت مزرعة بومبيون هيل مملوكة لألفريد هوغر وتم تغيير اسمها إلى لونغوود ، واقتصر اسم بومبيون هيل على المنحدر فوق النهر الذي تبلغ مساحته عشرة أو اثني عشر فدانًا حيث تقف الكنيسة القديمة الجميلة. (معلومات من: الأسماء في ولاية كارولينا الجنوبية بواسطة C.H. Neuffer ، تم نشره بواسطة S.C. Dept. of English ، USC)

بإذن من قسم المحفوظات والتاريخ في S.C.

بإذن من قسم المحفوظات والتاريخ في S.C.

Thomas T. Waterman Photographer 1940 & # 8211 الصور والمعلومات من: The Library of Congress & # 8211 HABS Photo Collection

Thomas T. Waterman Photographer 1940 & # 8211 الصور والمعلومات من: The Library of Congress & # 8211 HABS Photo Collection


تاريخ Wando II - التاريخ

موقع إلكتروني رسمي لحكومة الولايات المتحدة

تستخدم المواقع الرسمية .gov
أ .gov ينتمي موقع الويب إلى منظمة حكومية رسمية في الولايات المتحدة.

تستخدم مواقع الويب الحكومية الآمنة HTTPS
أ قفل (قفل قفل مقفل

) أو https: // يعني أنك اتصلت بأمان بموقع الويب .gov. مشاركة المعلومات الحساسة فقط على المواقع الرسمية والآمنة.

الجيولوجيا والجيولوجيا المائية وإمكانات المعالجة البيولوجية الجوهرية في موقع National Park Service Dockside II والمناطق المجاورة ، تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا ، 1993-1994

الروابط

الملخص

منطقة دراسة

تفاصيل النشر الإضافية
نوع المنشور تقرير
النوع الفرعي للنشر سلسلة مرقمة USGS
عنوان الجيولوجيا والجيولوجيا المائية وإمكانات المعالجة البيولوجية الجوهرية في موقع National Park Service Dockside II والمناطق المجاورة ، تشارلستون ، ساوث كارولينا ، 1993-1994
عنوان المسلسل تقرير تحقيقات موارد المياه
رقم المسلسل 96-4170
DOI 10.3133 / wri964170
الإصدار -
سنة النشر 1996
لغة إنجليزي
الناشر فرع المسح الجيولوجي الأمريكي لخدمات المعلومات [الموزع] ،
مكتب (مكاتب) مساهم مركز علوم المياه في جنوب المحيط الأطلسي
وصف الثامن ، 69 ص. : مضاءة، خرائط 28 سم.
دولة الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية
ولاية كارولينا الجنوبية
مدينة تشارلستون
مقاييس جوجل التحليلية صفحة المقاييس

يتم تقديم جزء من هذا التقرير أو كله بتنسيق المستندات المحمولة (PDF). للحصول على أفضل النتائج في عرض وطباعة مستندات PDF ، يوصى بتنزيل المستندات على جهاز الكمبيوتر الخاص بك وفتحها باستخدام Adobe Reader. قد لا يتم عرض مستندات PDF المفتوحة من متصفحك أو طباعتها على النحو المنشود. قم بتنزيل أحدث إصدار من Adobe Reader مجانًا. يمكن العثور على مزيد من المعلومات حول عرض ملفات التقارير وتنزيلها وطباعتها هنا.


مستعمرات كارولينا

& quot؛ سميت كارولينا بذلك من قبل الفرنسيين ، في عام 1563 أو 1564 ، تكريما لتشارلز التاسع ، ملك فرنسا (كارولوس باللاتينية ، وتعني تشارلز) ، الذي تم اكتشاف ساحلها تحت رعايته.

وهكذا ، فإن المنطقة التي سميت فيما بعد تضمنت الأراضي الواقعة بين درجتي العرض 30 و 36 من خط العرض الشمالي ، وامتدت من المحيط الأطلسي إلى المحيط الهادئ. في عام 1663 ، تم نقل هذه المنطقة المحددة ، من قبل تشارلز الثاني ، ملك إنجلترا ، الذي ادعى أنها بموجب اكتشاف كابوت ، إلى اللورد كلارندون ، والسير ويليام بيركلي ، والسير جورج كارتريت ، وأربعة آخرين يتمتعون بسلطات واسعة للاستقرار والحكم. هو - هي.

بين عامي 1640 و 1650 ، قبل المنحة المذكورة أعلاه لكلارندون وآخرين ، بدأ المزارعون من فرجينيا ، بالقرب من مصب نهر تشوان ، على الشاطئ الشمالي لأبيمارل ساوند ، بناء مستوطنة. تم وضع هذه التسوية من قبل حاكم ولاية فرجينيا بيركلي ، تحت إشراف ويليام دروموند. تلقت المزرعة الصغيرة اسم مستعمرة مقاطعة ألبيمارلتكريما لدوق ألبيمارل أحد مالكيها.

في عام 1665 ، تم تنفيذ تسوية دائمة ثانية ، بالقرب من مصب نهر كلارندون أو نهر كيب فير ، من قبل المهاجرين من جزيرة بربادوس. كان هذا يسمى مستعمرة مقاطعة كلاريندون. كان لها دستور مماثل مع ولاية فرجينيا. كان السير جون ييمانز الحاكم الأول. كلا المستوطنتين أعلاه ، كانت ضمن الحدود الحالية لـ شمال كارولينا.

في عام 1670 ، تم إنشاء مستعمرة ثالثة تسمى مستعمرة مقاطعة كارتريتبعد السير جورج كارتريت. رافق المستعمرون الحاكم سايل ، الذي سبق له استكشاف الساحل. دخلت السفن التي حملت المهاجرين أولاً ميناء بورت رويال ، بالقرب من بوفورت ، لكنها لم تكن راضية عن المكان ، سرعان ما أبحرت في نهر آشلي ، ووضعت أسس تشارلستون القديمة. في عام 1680 ، تم التخلي عن هذه المستوطنة لصالح أويستر بوينت ، والتي بدأت فيها مدينة تشارلستون. كانت هذه بداية كارولينا الجنوبية.

أثناء إدارة الحاكم سايل ، تم إعداد شكل من أشكال الحكومة لهذه المستعمرات ، بناءً على طلب اللورد شافتسبري الشهير ، نيابة عن المالكين ، من قبل جون لوك الذي لا يزال يحتفل به. واقترح تشكيل محكمة. من المالكين ، أحدهم ينتخب رئيسًا مدى الحياة أيضًا ، ونبلًا وراثيًا ، وبرلمانًا ، ويتكون الأخير من الاثنين السابقين ، وممثلين عن كل منطقة. كان عليهم أن يجتمعوا جميعًا في شقة واحدة وأن يكون لهم صوت متساوٍ. تمت محاولة تطبيق هذه الخطة الحكومية غير المدروسة والعبثية في الممارسة العملية ، ولكن تبين أنها غير عملية. في مقاطعة ألبيمارل ، تسبب في تمرد. لذلك تم التخلي عنها ، وعادت حكومة الملكية السابقة.

في عام 1671 ، تم تعيين الحاكم سايل المحتضر ، السير جون ييمانز ، حاكم كلارندون ، خلفًا له. نتيجة لهذا الحدث ، والازدهار الضئيل للمستعمرة ، الناجم بشكل رئيسي عن قاحلة تربتها ، فإن سكان هذه المستوطنة اللاحقة ، في غضون بضع سنوات ، انتقلوا إلى مستوطنة تشارلستون ، وبالتالي تم تقليص الحكومات الثلاث الى اثنين. نظرًا لكونهما منفصلين على نطاق واسع ، بدأ استخدام الأسماء المميزة لكارولينا الشمالية والجنوبية فيما يتعلق بهما.

مستعمرة نورث كارولينا

كان تقدم ألبيمارل أو نورث كارولينا كولوني متخلفًا لفترة طويلة بسبب الخلافات المحلية. نشأت حالة تمرد من السكان من محاولة لفرض خطة السيد لوك لضرائب الحكومة و [مدش] كانت هائلة ، والقيود التجارية محرجة. في عام 1677 ، بعد محاولة لإنفاذ قوانين الإيرادات ضد مهرب من نيو إنجلاند ، انتفض الشعب على الحكومة وسجن رئيس المستعمرة وستة من أعضاء المجلس ، وبعد أن فعلوا ذلك ، تولى حق الحكم. أنفسهم.

في عام 1683 ، أرسل الملاك Seth Sothel ، أحدهم ، على أمل استعادة الهدوء والرضا من خلاله. لكنه زاد الاضطرابات الموجودة فقط. لمدة ست سنوات عانى السكان من ظلمه وظلمه ، ثم قبضوا عليه ، وبعد محاكمته طردوه من المستعمرة. لاحظ مؤرخ ذات مرة عن Sothel ، & # 39: لم يتم التخلص من الظلال الداكنة لشخصيته بشعاع واحد من الفضيلة. & # 39

نجح فيليب لودويل ، من ولاية فرجينيا ، في سوثل سيئ السمعة وصارح الأخطاء التي ارتكبها. تحت قيادته ، خلفه القاحل ، السير جون أركديل ، في عام 1695 ، أعيد النظام إلى المستعمرة ، وهو كويكر ورجل ممتاز. بدأ المهاجرون في التدفق ، واستقرت أجزاء أخرى مختلفة من الإقليم في غضون سنوات قليلة. قام أصحابها بالتخصيصات الليبرالية للأراضي ، وهنا وجد الكثير ممن فروا من الاضطهاد الديني ، أو من دمار الحرب في الأراضي الأجنبية ، ملاذًا سلميًا وممتنًا. كان هذا صحيحًا بشكل خاص بالنسبة لمجموعة من البروتستانت الفرنسيين ، الذين وصلوا عام 1707 ، واستقروا على نهر ترينت ، أحد فروع نهر نيوس ، وعدد كبير من الألمان ، الذين فروا من الاضطهاد في عام 1710 ، وزرعوا أنفسهم في نفس المكان. جزء من المقاطعة.

But the inhabitants of this colony were destined soon to experience a sad, and, to many, a fatal calamity. The Indian tribes on the seacoast, once numerous and powerful, were fast dwindling before the enterprise of the colonists. To the more inland tribes, especially the Tuscaroras and the Corees, this was an indication not to be mistaken that the days of their prosperity were fast numbering. Grieved and exasperated at the prospect before them, they now combined with other tribes to utterly exterminate the new settlers. This purpose they attempted to carry into effect and so successful were they, that in one night, October 2nd, 1711, they massacred one hundred and thirty persons belonging to the settlements along the Roanoke River and Pamlico Sound.

A few colonists, escaping, hastened to South Carolina for assistance. Governor Craven immediately dispatched to their aid nearly a thousand men, under Colonel Barnwell. On his arrival, he defeated the enemy in several actions and, at length, pursued them to their fortified town, which capitulated, and peace was
concluded.

But it proved of short duration. The Indians renewed their hostilities, and the assistance of the southern colony was again involved. In response, Colonel Moore set out for the hostile territory, with a competent force &mdash forty white men and eight-hundred friendly Indians. They reduced the fort of the Tuscaroras, and with it took eight hundred prisoners. Broken and disheartened by this defeat, the tribe, in 1713, migrated north, and became the sixth nation of the great Iroquois Confederacy &mdash sometimes called the Five, and after this event, the Six Nations. In 1715, a treaty was concluded with the Corees.

In 1719, the proprietary government, which had continued from the settlement of the colony until now, was terminated in consequence of difficulties between the inhabitants and the proprietors. Their charter was vacated by the crown, and royal government substituted. Ten years after in 1729, the proprietors surrendered their right to the government, and interest in the soil, to the king upon which the province was divided into North and. South Carolina, and their governors and councils were appointed by the crown.

South Carolina Colony

The foundation of the Carteret or Southern Colony, was laid by Governor Sayle and emigrants accompanying him, in the settlement of Old Charleston, in 1670. Sayle fell victim to some disease of the climate early in the following year, and Sir John Yeamans, then Governor of Clarendon Colony, was appointed his successor. On being transferred, he drew after him a considerable portion of the latter colony.

The progress of the southern colony was, from the commencement, more rapid than the northern. Several circumstances contributed to this. The soil was more feasible and fertile. Many Dutch families from New York, dissatisfied with the transfer of their home to the English, in 1664, were ready to find a home here and, in 1671, shiploads of them were transported by the proprietors to Carolina, free of expense, and liberal grants of land were made to them. They chiefly concentrated at a place called جيمستاون, west of the Ashley River, where they were, from time to time, enforced by emigrants from Holland. The profanity and licentiousness of the court of Charles II, also, drove many Puritan refugees across the Atlantic, a considerable number of whom settled in Carolina.

In 1680, the people of Old Charleston, attracted by the more pleasant location of a point of land between thee rivers Ashley and Cooper, called Oyster Point, removed there, and there laid the foundation of the present City of Charleston, which, from that time, has had the honor of being the capital of the colony and state.

They were, however, immediately afterward, annoyed, and the safety of the place even endangered, by the hostile and predatory conduct of the Westoes, a powerful tribe of Indians in the neighborhood. Retaliatory measures became necessary numbers of the Indians were shot and others, who were captured, were sent into slavery in the West Indies. Fortunately, peace was made with them the following year.

In 1686, soon after the revocation of the edict of Nantes, by Louis XIV, a large number of Huguenots, or French Protestants, came over, and settled in the colony. To the English settlers, who were Episcopal, these refugees being of so different a faith, were by no means welcome and they were quite disposed to drive them from the colony, notwithstanding the latter had been introduced by the proprietors under an assurance of enjoying the rights of citizenship.

About this time, James Colleton, a brother of Sir John, was appointed governor, under an expectation that he would be able to reduce the people to a proper submission to proprietary authority, to which they had for a long time seemed averse. But his arbitrary conduct, in excluding refractory members from the colonial assembly, and in attempting to collect rents claimed by the proprietors as due, drove the people to open resistance. The public records were seized, the colonial secretary imprisoned, the governor defied, and, at length, banished from the colony.

In 1690, that notable person, Seth Sothel, who, for his corrupt conduct, had been driven from North Carolina in disgrace, appeared in the province, and was allowed by the people to assume the government. But, impelled by his avarice to acts of meanness and oppression, as formerly at the expiration of two years he was banished from the colony. Next, Philip Ludwell was appointed by the proprietors as the person to teach the South Carolinians submission and good manner but they were too turbulent, as he thought, and he became glad, at no distant day, to retire.

In 1695, John Archdale, the Quaker, was appointed governor, with power to redress all grievances. The people had long complained against their rulers, and had quarreled among themselves. Archdale, by a wise and conciliatory course, restored harmony, and removed the causes of civil dissatisfaction. He introduced a more republican form of government, thus restoring to the people rights and privileges which had been monopolized by the proprietors, or their agents.

One difficulty, however, still remained, and which he was compelled to leave to the 'softening influence of time' to remove. This was the jealousy and antipathy already alluded to, of the English Episcopalians against the French Protestants. The latter, it was contended, could not legally hold real estate in the colony that the French ministers could not lawfully solemnize marriages and that the children of the refugees must be debarred inheriting the property of their fathers.

But these animosities and differences found an end. When, at length, the inoffensive and even exemplary lives of these exiles, were observed by the English, and also their uniform and liberal efforts to sustain and advance the interests of the colony, prejudice and opposition yielded and, in a few years, the colonial assembly gladly extended to them all the rights of citizens and freemen.

Soon after the declaration of war in 1702, by England against France and Spain, called Queen Anne's War, Governor Moore proposed to the assembly of the colony an expedition against the Spanish settlement of St. Augustine, in Florida. To this the more considerate of the assembly were opposed but, the enterprise being approved by a majority, nearly ten thousand dollars were appropriated for the object, and twelve hundred troops raised, one half of whom were Indians. With the forces above named, and some merchant vessels impressed as transports, Governor Moore sailed for St. Augustine. The design for Colonel Daniel, an enterprising officer, was to proceed by the inland passage, and then attack the town by land, with a party of militia and Indians while Moore was to proceed by sea, and take possession of the harbor. Daniel advanced against the town, entered and plundered it, before the governor's arrival. The Spaniards, however, retired to the castle, with their principal riches, and with provisions for four months.

The governor, on his arrival, could effect nothing, for want of artillery. In this emergency, Daniel was dispatched to Jamaica for cannon, mortars, etc. During his absence, two large Spanish ships appearing off the harbor, Governor Moore hastily raised the siege, abandoned his shipping, and made a precipitate retreat into Carolina. Colonel Daniel, having no intelligence that the siege had been raised, on his return, stood in for the harbor, and narrowly escaped the ships of the enemy. In consequence of this rash and unfortunate enterprise, the colony was loaded with a debt of nearly thirty thousand dollars, which gave rise to the first paper currency in Carolina, and was the means of filling the colony with dissension and tumult.

The failure of this expedition was soon after, in a measure, compensated by a successful war with the Appalachian Indians, who, in consequence of their connection with the Spaniards, became insolent and hostile. Governor Moore, with a body of white men and Indian allies, marched into the heart of their country, and compelled them to submit to the English. All the towns of the tribes between the rivers Altamaha and Savannah were burnt, and between six hundred and eight hundred Indians were made prisoners.

In 1704, Sir Nathaniel Johnson succeeded Governor Moore and now, under his influence, a long-cherished object of the proprietors was accomplished. This was the establishment of the Church of England forms of worship as the religion of the province, and the exclusion of dissenters from all participation in the government. But, in 1706, these laws of exclusion or disfranchisement were repealed, by direction of the English Parliament, which decided that they were inconsistent with the laws of England. But the acts establishing the Church of England religion continued in force, until they were abrogated by the American Revolution.

In 1706, while yet Queen Anne's War continued, a French and Spanish squadron, consisting of a French frigate and four armed sloops, appeared before Charleston, with a design of annexing Carolina to Florida but, by the prompt and energetic efforts of the governor, seconded by Colonel Rhett and the inhabitants, this issue was averted. When, at length, the enemy had passed the bar, he sent a summons to the governor to surrender. Four hours were allowed him to return his answer. But the governor informed the messenger that he did not wish one minute. On the reception of this answer, the enemy seemed to hesitate, and attempted nothing that day.

The day succeeding, a party of the enemy, landing on James Island, burnt a village by the river's side. Another party landed at Wando Neck. The next day both these parties were dislodged the latter party being surprised, and nearly all killed or taken prisoner.

This success so animated the Carolinians, that it was determined to attack the enemy by sea. This was attempted with a force of six vessels, under command of Rhett but, on his appearance, the enemy weighed anchor, and precipitately fled.

In 1715, the province came near the verge of ruin, by reason of a combination of the Yamassees and other Indian tribes&mdashstretching from Cape Fear to Florida&mdashagainst them. The 15th of April 1715, was fixed upon as the day of their general destruction. Owing, however, to the wisdom, dispatch and firmness of Governor Craven, and the blessing of Providence, the calamity was, in a measure, averted, and the colonies saved, though at the expense during the war, of near four hundred of the inhabitants. The Yamassees were expelled from the province, and took refuge among the Spaniards in Florida.

In 1719, the people of Carolina, having been long disgusted with the management of the proprietors, were resolved, at all hazards, to execute their own laws, and defend the rights of the province. A subscription to this effect was drawn up, and generally signed. On the meeting of the assembly, a committee was sent with this subscription to the governor, Robert Johnson, requesting him to accept the government of the province, under the king, instead of the proprietors. Upon Johnson's refusal, the assembly chose Colonel James Moore governor, under the crown and on the 21st of December, 1719, the convention and militia marched to Charleston fort, and proclaimed Moore governor, in his majesty's name.

The Carolinians, having thus assumed the government, in behalf of the king, referred their complaints to the royal ear. On a hearing of the case, the privy council adjudged that the proprietors had forfeited their charter. From this time, therefore, the colony was taken under the royal protection, under which it continued until the Revolution. This change was followed, in 1729, by another, nearly as important. This was an agreement, between the proprietors and the crown, that the former should surrender to the crown their right and interest, both to the government and soil, for the sum of seventeen thousand five hundred pounds sterling. This agreement being carried into effect, the province was divided into North and South Carolina, each province having a distinct governor, under the crown of England.

مصدر: A History of the United States, by Charles A. Goodrich, 1857


Barbados and the Roots of Carolina, Part 1

If you pick up any book about the origins of South Carolina in the late 1600s, you’ll be sure to find references to the island of Barbados and the great influence it exerted on our early history. Nearly 350 years later, in November 2017, a number of Lowcountry residents are collaborating with officials in Barbados to commemorate the cultural ties that continue to bind our two communities together. The Barbados and Carolina Legacy Foundation, founded by Bajan native Rhoda Green, is leading a coterie of Carolinians to Bimshire (as some natives call the island) this month to celebrate our shared past. I’ll be traveling along with the Charleston delegation, and I look forward to sharing the fruits of my journey when I return.

In preparation for my trip, I’ve been reading a lot and searching for clues to answer this fundamental question: How exactly did Barbados influence the early history of South Carolina? If you peruse a few of the many books and articles written about this topic, you’ll find discussions of a number of specific connections. The Charleston single house, for example, is often described as being a local interpretation of a Barbadian (or Bajan) predecessor. The drinking culture of early Charleston has been described as an extension of the influence of the Bajan rum industry. Several of the early governors and major landowners of colonial Carolina came here from Barbados. Some of South Carolina’s earliest laws for the governing of African slaves were based on legal precedents established in Barbados. The local language we call Gullah, created by the enslaved Africans who lived along the coast of South Carolina, is remarkably similar to the Afro-Barbadian dialect known as Bajan.

After reading about such connections between Barbados and early South Carolina, I have to admit that I still felt a bit unsatisfied. The cultural connections I’ve just described are legitimate, bona fide examples of the historical links between our two communities, but there has to be more to the story. After further reading, digging into the early history of that Caribbean island, however, I found a theme that strikes me as a deeper, more fundamental link between Barbados and Carolina. To illustrate my point, we’ll need to travel back to the early days of European exploration in the New World, and try to understand how the small island of Barbados fits into the larger historic context of this age of discovery.

Barbados is the easternmost island of the Caribbean or West Indian Islands. It contains approximately 166 square miles of land, or just over 106,000 acres. That makes the island of Barbados approximately one-tenth the size of Charleston County, or twice the size of John’s Island. That may be difficult to visualize, so here’s another way to think about it: the pear-shaped island of Barbados is approximately 21 miles long and 14 miles across at its widest point.

European settlement of Barbados began in the 1490s, when Spanish and Portuguese explorers first visited the island. There they found a population of native Amerindians, but did not attempt to create a permanent settlement. Throughout the sixteenth century, Spanish colonists dominated the land of Central America and the islands of the Caribbean Sea, while Portuguese colonists established a vast sugar empire in Brazil in South America.

At the beginning of the seventeenth century, England was poised to launch its first permanent colonies in the New World. The settlement at Jamestown, Virginia, was established in 1607, followed by a permanent settlement in Bermuda in 1609. In 1623 English settlers claimed part of the island of St. Christopher (St. Kitts), in the Leeward Islands of the Lesser Antilles, just a bit north of Barbados. French settlers claimed the other half of St. Kitts in 1625, leading to years of conflict, so the English kept searching for Caribbean islands to call their own. Also in 1625, English explorers landed at Barbados, found it completely deserted, and claimed the island for their king.

Two years later, in 1627, a small band of about fifty white men and perhaps ten African slaves established the first permanent English settlement on Barbados. Over the next several decades, the island served as the base for other English settlements in the Caribbean, including Nevis in 1628, Antigua in 1632, and then a number of other small islands. As England’s first solid foothold in the West Indies, Barbados quickly became a major destination for adventuring merchants and investors, as well as white indentured servants and exiled criminals. By the early 1640s, when the colony was not quite twenty years old, Barbados was home to approximately 30,000 people, mostly men, making it the most densely populated English-speaking settlement outside of London.

In this crowded society, scores of urban merchants traded with neighboring ports while hundreds of middling landowners cultivated relatively small tracts of lands. They grew tobacco, cotton, indigo, and ginger for export, and raised cattle and provision crops to feed themselves. Indentured white servants, mostly poor Irish, did the bulk of the labor, but Barbados in the early 1640s was also home to nearly 1,000 enslaved Africans, whom the English had purchased through Dutch merchants. English colonists first embraced slavery in Virginia in 1619, but it was not yet the dominant form of labor in their New World settlements. In Virginia in 1650, for example, the population demographics were nearly identical to that of 1640s Barbados: approximately 30,000 whites and nearly 1,000 enslaved Africans.

During its first twenty years of English occupation, Barbados was not a financial success. Tobacco prices declined as the quantity and quality of the Virginia product surpassed Caribbean exports. French and Spanish indigo dominated European markets, and so the English dye faced stiff competition. In response to these conditions, settlers began to stream away from Barbados in search of new opportunities in places like Virginia and New England.

As Barbados struggled to find its niche in the world in the early 1640s, a few planters began experimenting with the cultivation of sugar cane. The Portuguese in Brazil had already turned sugar cane production into an extremely profitable business, using Dutch merchants to market sugar and sugar by-products to European customers who couldn’t get enough of the sweet stuff. Trying to emulate their neighbors, English planters in Barbados started growing the cane and experimenting with the laborious process of converting it into sugar products. At first the results were not promising. The quantity was too small to be profitable, and the quality of their sugar was inferior to that produced by the Portuguese. Within a few years of experimentation, however, and with the important help of Dutch merchants and Sephardic Jews who bridged the gap between Portuguese, Dutch, and English trade networks, Barbadian planters soon perfected their sugar production techniques.

By the end of the 1640s, Barbados was on the cusp of an explosion of sugar production. Planters had mastered both the cultivation of the cane and the techniques of processing it into sugar, molasses, and rumbullion (rum), alias “kill-divil.” The last step in this expansion was to increase production dramatically, a step that would require a larger labor force. In sixteenth-century Brazil, Portuguese planters created an empire of sugar cane by importing large numbers of enslaved Africans. Around the year 1650, Barbadian planters decided to follow a similar path. Within a decade, the island had been radically transformed. Wealthy planters bought out their less-affluent neighbors to create a smaller number of farms, or plantations, cultivating larger tracts of land. Simultaneously, they purchased large numbers of Africans through Dutch merchants, effectively displacing thousands of poor white laborers. By 1660, the population of Barbados stood at approximately 26,000 whites, a decline of a several thousand people since the early 1640s. Conversely, the number of enslaved people of African descent increased from less than 1,000 people around 1640 to approximately 27,000 in 1660.

The transformation of the Barbadian economy in the mid-1600s was a turning point in that island’s history, but it also had important ramifications for the rest of the Caribbean and mainland North America as well. By investing a large amount of capital into large-scale agricultural ventures that focused on a single crop, combined with an emphasis on the use of forced African labor, Barbadian planters were creating a new mode of capitalism in the English-speaking world. The business of exploitative factory farming, as we might call it, produced incredible profits for a relatively small number of investors, while condemning a disproportionately large number of people to a life of labor and poverty. The Spanish and Portuguese had already embarked down this economic road in South America, of course, but for the English nation this was a bold new step that would have long and painful repercussions.

The rapid economic success of Barbados between the late 1640s and the early 1660s, what we might call the Great Sugar Rush, also created a series of immediate challenges for the small island. The great potential for profits drove planters to clear more land to grow more sugar cane and import ever more Africans to do the work. As a result of these changes, Barbadians found it increasingly difficult to sustain their own population. There were far more mouths to feed, but fewer acres of land dedicated to cattle grazing and the cultivation of provisions like wheat and peas. As forests were cleared to create new cane fields, the island grew increasingly desperate for essential wood products like lumber for houses, shingles for roofs, staves for barrels, and firewood to boil the cane juice into sugar and rum. To maintain the fabulously profitable economic dynamo it had recently created, Barbados desperately needed to expand.

The Barbadian model of sugar production enticed English adventurers to carry the business to the other English possessions in the Caribbean, including Antigua, St. Kitt’s, and Nevis. These were small islands with limited resources, however, so they alone could not satisfy the demand for land, wood products, and provisions. In 1655 England captured the much larger island of Jamaica from the Spanish, a feat that promised much needed relief for the strained Barbadian resources. The Jamaican soil proved to be less fertile than that of Barbados, however, and the island’s extensive mountains provided ample shelter to African slaves seeking to escape a life of bondage. In the late 1600s the Jamaican economy developed a sort of auxiliary of the Barbadian sugar model, but the collective resources of the larger island were not sufficient to solve the smaller island’s lingering challenges.

What Barbados merchants and planters of the early 1660s ideally wanted was a cheap, limitless supply of timber for wood products and land for cattle grazing and planting provision crops. Such needs could only be found on the mainland, perhaps, and England’s long, turbulent era of Civil War, Commonwealth, and Protectorate, 1642–1659, precluded the creation of any new mainland colonies in North America. With the restoration of the English monarchy under Charles II in 1660, however, the leading figures of Barbados saw an opportunity to press the new king for assistance in expanding their respective fortunes. Conversations commenced between Barbadians and their allies in the new English government about potential investments and profit schemes. In the spring of 1663, these private negotiations bore fruit in the Royal charter granted by Charles II to a group of eight investors, styled Lords Proprietors, for the vast and verdant new colony called Carolina.

In short, the historical connection between Barbados and Carolina is far deeper than a handful of influential colonists, or an architectural form, or a style of cuisine, or a dialect. Barbados, or more precisely the spirit of late-seventeenth-century Barbados, was encoded in the DNA of Carolina from the moment this colony was conceived. Tune in next week, when we’ll continue this conversation by investigating some of the features of early South Carolina that we can identify as family traits inherited from Barbados.


History of Wando II - History

For most of its history Korea was an independent kingdom, or at least an autonomous kingdom under Chinese influence. This came to an end in 1910 when Japan annexed all of Korea. At the end of World War II in 1945 the 38° parallel was established as the dividing line between U.S. and Soviet zones of occupation, and in 1948 separate civil administrations were established in the two halves of the country. The Korean War (1950-53) ended in a draw with the armistice line falling close to the prewar 38° line. The Republic of Korea (ROK), commonly called South Korea, occupies the Korean peninsula south of the armistice line.

This page covers lighthouses of the northern section of the island county of Wando located off South Korea's southwest coast. Wando is a county of Jeollanam Province in the region of southwestern Korea formerly known known as Jeolla or Cholla. There is another page for the southern islands of the county. Also included on this page are several lighthouses of Jangheung County and Gangjin County, which are on the mainland facing Wando.

In 2000 South Korea adopted a Revised Romanization System to replace systems formerly used in the West. In the Revised System, the word for a lighthouse is deungdae ( 등대 ) dan (formerly tan) is a cape, seom (som) أو فعل (إلى) is an island, صباحا أو amseog is a rock, رجل is a bay, and hang is a harbor. Some place names may be more familiar to Westerners in the spellings of older systems.

Navigational aids in the ROK are regulated by the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF). Most of the lights on this page are maintained by the Mokpo Regional Oceans and Fisheries Administration , but several of the lights in the southeastern part of the Wando archipelago are maintained by the Yeosu Regional Oceans and Fisheries Administration.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights . Admiralty numbers are from volume M of the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals . U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 112.

General Sources Port of Mokpo - Lighthouses Photos and information in English for the major lighthouses of the area. World of Lighthouses - South Korea Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net. Kiso's Lighthouses - Korea Photos posted by a Japanese lighthouse fan. Online List of Lights - Korea Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. Navionics Charts Navigation chart for Wando.


East Breakwater Light, Wando, September 2009
Daum.net Creative Commons photo by 사비오 (Sabio)

Northeastern Wando County Lighthouses


Geumdangdo Light, Geumdang District
ex-Daum.net Creative Commons photo by 고기잡는어부


Seopdo Light, Geomildo District
Yeosu Regional Port Administration photo

Dojang Hang Detached Breakwater Lights, Geomildo District, October 2018
Google Maps photo by Hunseok Shin

Jangheung County Lighthouses

Hoejin District Lighthouses Hoejin Hang Breakwater East End 2007. Active focal plane 11 m (36 ft) four yellow flashes every 8 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower. Entire lighthouse is yellow. A photo of the two breakwater lighthouses is available and Google has a satellite view . Hoejin is a mainland port opposite the Wando islands. Located at the northeast end of the detached breakwater of Hoejin harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M4281.78 NGA 17303.2. Hoejin Hang Breakwater West End 2007. Active focal plane 11 m (36 ft) red flash every 4 s. 10 m (33 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower. Entire lighthouse is red. A photo of the two breakwater lighthouses is available and Google has a satellite view . Located at the southwest end of the detached breakwater of Hoejin harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty M4281.79 NGA 17303.3..

Gangjin County Lighthouses


West Breakwater Light, Maryang Hang, May 2020
Google Maps photo by Hyunyong Kim

Northwestern Wando County Lighthouses


Wando Hang Light, Wando, August 2019
Google Maps photo by Banana

Information available on lost lighthouses:

  • Wando Tower, Wando, is a 76 m (250 ft) observation tower it is not listed as an aid to navigation. The tower appears the photo of the Wando East Breakwater Light at the top of this page and Google has a satellite view.

Posted January 9, 2008. Lighthouses: 45. Checked and revised February 10, 2021. Site copyright 2021 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.


The Enduring Fascination – And Challenge – Of World War II

Earl Ofari Hutchinson is the author of multiple books on race and politics in America, a military history analyst specializing in World War II, and a member of the Society for Military History. His books include the trilogy on the Obama Years: The Obama Legacy, How Obama Governed The Year of Crisis and Challenge, و How Obama Won. His most recent books are The Trump Challenge to Black America and From King to Obama: Witness to a Turbulent History. له How World War II Changed America will be released in August, 2021.

More than seven decades after the end of World War II, why are we still so fascinated by it? On a primal level, World War II is the complete package. Violence, action, adventure, romance, drama, death defying feats, passions, race, gender, new inventions, crisis decision making, colorful personalities and leaders, evil personalities and leaders, horror, heroism, and a triumphant ending. It doesn&rsquot get any better (or worse) in the realm of human experience.

World War II also serves to remind us what happens when a country is caught flatfooted and unprepared to respond to a crisis. The Pearl Harbor attack made clear that preparedness for a crisis is paramount. Failure to learn that lesson almost always leads to disaster. The 9/11 attack in 2001, first. Then twenty years after, the nation&rsquos failure to prepare and have plans in place to combat the COVID Pandemic. In both cases, the U.S. paid a terrible price for its lack of preparedness as it did with Pearl Harbor.

It&rsquos simplistic to say that World War II is a case of wanting to hang onto a feel-good, nostalgic past triumph. History is never past. It continues to repeat itself in many ways, and most importantly in many of the eternal issues--war and peace, violence and non-violence, authoritarian rule and democratic government, conservative and liberal ideology, civil liberties and national security, and terrorism and intervention.

Author and World War II expert Michael Bess says the war continues to challenge us to never lose sight of the nation&rsquos principles and values:

The issue raised here is a vital one for any democratic society: how to balance a commitment to constitutional rights and liberties with the demands of security in wartime. The lesson of World War II, in this regard, is clear: take the long view don&rsquot get lost in the panic of the moment. In 1942, in the name of national security, we Americans seized a racially demarcated subset of our citizenry and threw them in the slammer. In both cases, the justification was the same: We are at war. We have to do this in order to survive. But this turned out not to be true. Not a single case of Japanese-American subversion was ever prosecuted during World War II.

History should be approached as a living, breathing organic day-to-day experience. The events of the past that continually influence, shape, and contain important lessons for the present and the future are perpetually invaluable. One of my favorites is nicely summed up on the University of People website:

Learn from the past and notice clear warning signs. We learn from past atrocities against groups of people, genocides, wars, and attacks. Through this collective suffering, we have learned to pay attention to the warning signs leading up to such atrocities. Society has been able to take these warning signs and fight against them when they see them in the present day. Knowing what events led up to these various wars helps us better influence our future.

Do &ldquogenocide,&rdquo, &ldquoatrocities,&rdquo, &ldquowars,&rdquo, &ldquoattacks,&rdquo &ldquocollective suffering,&rdquo &ldquowarning signs,&rdquo &ldquofight against them,&rdquo or &ldquobetter influence our future,&rdquo sound familiar? The message is to be forewarned is to be forearmed. That&rsquos the purpose of knowing and taking to heart the great lessons of, and from, the past. In the end the past is the present and the future.

Here are three immediate examples that painfully underscore that. The U.S. stamped an everlasting stain on its claim to be the global champion of democracy when it interned 120,000 Japanese Americans during the war. The interned not only committed no crime but were productive citizens that made integral contributions to the nation in agriculture, trade, and the manufacturing industries.

The U.S. learned from that heinous act. In the aftermath of the 9/11 attack, fear and hysteria did not run rampant in the nation. There was no wholesale lock-up of Muslims in the country under the guise that they posed a threat to national security. Nearly two decades later, then President Trump&rsquos demand to exclude citizens from nations deemed &ldquoterrorist&rdquo from entrance into the U.S. ignited major resistance and legal challenges. It was soon modified and then scrapped. We learned again.

There were assorted identifiable white nationalist, supremacist and neo-Nazi supporters involved in the violence during the Capitol takeover January 6, 2021. The reaction from the government, media and public was swift condemnation, mass arrests, and prosecutions of the perpetrators. Congressional hearings were held that decried the laxity of response and ignoring intelligence warnings of possible violence. There would be no Reichstag type takeover here.

There is the always public tremor over the use of atomic power. When the Biden administration in April 2021 approved a plan to bankroll a multibillion-dollar project in New Mexico to manufacture key components for the nation&rsquos nuclear arsenal, antinuclear and environmental watchdog groups sprang into action. They threatened lawsuits, court action, and public protests over the plan.

I could name many more examples of how World War II hold lessons for the present.

The monumental destruction World War II wreaked should never blind us to the fact that the war was first and foremost a major historical event. As with all major historical events, they happen in a continuum of time and place. As such, they have important social, political, and economic consequences long after their end. في What is History?, eminent historian E.H. Carr ruminated at length about the inseparable linkage between the past and the present, &ldquoIt is at one the justification and the explanation of history that the past throws light on the future, and the future throws light on the past.&rdquo

Carr goes further. He insists that history has value only when it sheds light on the present and future, &ldquoHistory establishes meaning and objectivity only when it establishes a coherent relation between past and future.&rdquo

America&rsquos master oral history chronicler Studs Terkel published many books in which regular folk told their stories about just about every aspect of American life. There was no surprise then that the Good War had the sledgehammer impact on the public it did when it was released in 1984.

The stories the men and women of World War II told had instant and moving resonance for legions of readers born years, even decades, after the war. They could identify with the human emotions and drama that poured forth in their remembrances. It was the epitome of living history. It was no accident in May 2021, thirty-seven years afterالحرب الجيدة, was published, and thirty-six years after it won a Pulitzer Prize, the book still ranked among the top 20 bestsellers in two non-fiction categories on أمازون.

This literally speaks volumes why World War II, the good war, still fascinates us. And undoubtedly will continue to.


A History of the College’s Land

The story of the land that encompasses the College or Charleston campus reflects the history of the city.

The peninsula of Charleston was home to Native Americans long before the first permanent European settlers arrived in 1670. As soon as they entered the harbor, the first settlers saw a large oyster midden, the mounds of discarded oyster shells left by the indigenous people. (They named that area White Point, the site for White Point Garden today.) The tribes in the area included the Wando and the Etiwan. Relations between natives and newcomers started out equitably, but the sad tragedy of native displacement by the Europeans (through enslavement, conflict and disease) that is part of American history also played out here.

No one owned the lands, until they were claimed by England’s King Charles II, who granted them to the Lords Proprietors, who, in turn, granted them to others. What is now our campus was beyond the limits of Charles Towne, which was moved from its original location at Albermarle Point, west of the Ashley River, to the peninsula in 1680. Our land, granted first to Henry Hughes in the 1670s, passed to John Coming. In 1698, a part of that parcel, containing the core of the campus, was conveyed by Coming’s widow, Affra Harleston Coming, to the Pinckney family. (The names of Coming St., which runs through campus, and Harleston Village, just west of it, reflect this early history.) In 1724, a Pinckney heir sold some of this land to the Commissioners of the Free School, making public education the land’s now fulfilled destiny. The large tract of land bounded to the north on a marsh (now Calhoun St.between St. Philip and Coming streets, an area that still floods occasionally) and southerly (south of present-day George St.) on a tract donated by Affra Harleston Coming to St. Philip’s Church. (This gave rise to other street names in the neighborhood – St. Philip and Glebe – the latter word meaning property of a church.) Some of the first structures on the land in the Colonial era were wooden barracks, soon replaced by two brick barracks. The barracks were used in the American Revolution by the Second SC Regiment under William Moultrie. Plats indicate that those buildings were in the approximate area of what is now Cistern Yard.

The College’s first president Bishop Robert Smith, who lived nearby, was not just a clergyman, but a plantation owner whose wealth came from enslaved people who worked his land. (Almost all early endowments came from similar sources: Benjamin Smith, the first contributor to the College, no relation to Robert Smith, was a wealthy slave and plantation owner, as well, and Miles Brewton, another donor, was a slave trader.) President Smith, who would own more than 200 human beings at his death in 1801, was in the position to advance the struggling College funds to repair the barracks classrooms records also reveal that people he enslaved worked on related projects, for which he billed the institution. To pay off those debts after his death, the College trustees, mostly wealthy slave owners themselves, cut Green Street (now Green Way, converted to a pedestrian mall in the 1970s) through its lands, attempting to rent lots along it. The College’s land was now quartered into four approximately equal squares or blocks, the extreme outer limits being Boundary (now Calhoun), St. Philip, George and Coming streets, with College Street running north/south through the parcel, and Green Street running east/west through it. In 1817, the College was forced to sell most of its land to satisfy the debt, restricting its precincts to the southeast square of land bounded by George, College, Green and St. Philip streets.

On these lands, fringing the compact campus, rose houses, large and small, of men and women white and black, free and enslaved, many of whom could not legally attend the school whose student body consisted mostly of the white slave-owning elite. (There were religious, educational civic buildings and graveyards in the neighborhood, too.) As the College grew and eventually became state supported in the 20th century, it began to acquire more of the surrounding property. Many buildings were torn down, some were saved, and others relocated. After all these changes, the College of Charleston now includes the approximate parcel it possessed at its founding, and more: the campus now extends north of Calhoun Street, east of St. Philip Street, across Coming Street and as far south as Wentworth Street. There are other non-contiguous College lands on the peninsula and others across both the Ashley and Cooper Rivers.

Within the over 30 acres of the downtown campus are innumerable stories to discover.


شاهد الفيديو: قناة التاريخ المقارن للشعوب كل ما تود معرفته عن تاريخ المغرب (كانون الثاني 2022).